Nirmala Mata Convent is in Manickpur, Vasai, North Mumbai, a Marathi speaking area, with strong Catholic roots from the time of the Portuguese occupation of the island of Salcette from 1534-1739. It was green and rural with saltpans and creeks, however with urbanization creeping in, Vasai has greatly changed. The convent was opened on 10th June 1962 at the request of Fr. Nubiola, S.J, to take up the education of girls since in the vicinity there was no girls’ school. In 1966 the Primary school was granted recognition by the Education Department. In 1967 the school was recognized as Nirmala Mata Girls’ High School Independent of the Parish. The community also now runs an English medium school, is involved in socio-pastoral ministry, sisters animate the women’s sodality, youth group, catechism classes and the small Christian communities.