Trusting in the Divine Providence of God, the petition to the government was forwarded, which was under the British for the distillery land which was not in use and that the government could be approached for the sale. It was here declared that the distillery and all the adjoining structure to be the property of the Canossian Sisters of Belgaum. The building was renovated and on 29th September 1921, the House of Divine Providence was blessed and placed under the Patronage of Bl. Joseph Cottolengo.
The house was officially opened on 07th October 1921 with 3 sisters as the pioneers. The Orphans from St. Joseph’s, Belgaum were transferred to Tilakwadi. Because of the lack of Sisters, the School could not be opened. So the orphans accompanied by 2 Sisters went to St. Joseph’s, Belgaum every day and returned in the evening. On 23rd January 1922, the School was opened and gradually it is grown catering to the poor in the locality. On 30th December 1996, the Postulancy was transferred from St. Joseph’s to Divine Providence.
The work of demolition of the old building gifted by the government in 1921 was begun on 24th April 2000 and the foundation stone of the new Chapel was laid on 21st August 2000. On 01st November 2001 the reconstructed Convent and Chapel was blessed and inaugurated. It stands on the same foundation and area of the distillery.
Divine Providence Convent has been changed completely. It has cared for, nurtured and educated very many orphans and destitute girls. Many of the girls have been married. Most of our girls have jobs as teachers and are spread all over India. The babies that were adopted are doing very well.
The community still carries on the activities of looking after adult orphans, Boarding for lower economic groups, English medium K.G, Primary and High School, Pastoral work, Care of sick and elderly.